Saturday, January 1, 2011

Review: Shiver


Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Before I read this, I read the Goodreads review of my friend @donalynbooks. I hadn't heard anything about the series; she suggested that there was criticism that Shiver and it's sequel, Linger, are a rip-off of the Twilight series. While I can't argue whether or not Twilight is where Stiefvater pulled her inspiration, or whether or not she was trying to capitalize on the current emo-vamipre-supernatural romance craze, I felt like Shiver was the better written of the two series.

Personally, I felt more for the characters, especially since the narration wasn't solely one sided. The plotlines were complex enough that, as a reader, I was sympathizing and empathizing with more than just the main character.

Because Shiver and it's sequel(s?) aren't in my preferred genre, I won't be rushing out to get the next title, but it should be added to the collection of our local MS library here in the next few months. I'll let you know what I think about Linger then.



View all my reviews

No comments: