Saturday, January 1, 2011

Review: The Necromancer


The Necromancer  (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4)The Necromancer by Michael Scott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was looking at dates, and while it's January 1 and I'm writing my thoughts, this was actually the last book I read in 2010. Not a bad note to finish on.

I've been waiting for the point where the twins' relationship is tested and ultimately broken. This event has been foreshadowed with Josh's jealousy and in the way he constantly compared himself to Sadie since the beginning of the Alchemyst.

The entire novel has been set up so the reader questions the motives of Nicholas and Pernelle Flamel. Characters on both sides--the purported antagonists and protagonists--suggest information that makes the reader realize that no one really knows who Nicholas and Pernelle are, why Pernelle is so strong and how it is that no one knows, even Machiavelli who has extensive files on all immortals and Elders, who she is and where she came from.

I'm particularly interested in the hook-handed man, in whose Shadowrealm Scatty and Joan of got stuck. He has had his hand, so to speak, in the lives of everyone on the protagonist's side. Now he's taking Scatty, Joan, Saint Germain, William Shakespeare and Palamedes back to Danu Talis to save the humani.

I have to admit, while the story is fast paced, and the movement between characters keeps the reader's attention, there is a lot going on here. In the course of the series, I think readers have witnessed approximately a week's worth of time. I hope the fact that there is a soap opera's worth of characters and as many story lines doesn't mean the quality of the story will suffer in The Warlock.



View all my reviews

No comments: