Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review: Where She Went

Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)Where She Went by Gayle Forman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Where She Went is Gayle Forman's sequel to If I Stay, a novel about Mia, the survivor of a car accident that killed a family, who is trying to decide whether to hang onto this life or move on to the next. Where She Went picks up three years after the end of If I Stay and is told from the point of view of Adam, Mia's ex-boyfriend. Adam is a rock star who has lost the love for music. Coincidence places Mia and Adam both in New York City, where they spend an evening wandering the city, exploring, trying not to be seen, and dealing with anger.

When I started this novel, it felt too much like I was reading a diary, which was kind of off-putting. As the story picked up speed, I was drawn back into the world of Mia and Adam, not sure at any given point what the outcome would be. As a musician, I could identify with Adam--something happened that caused his love for music to be tarnished, and he wants to give it up in order to get it back.

All in all, this is an amazing and well-written novel about love, loss and finding the music. In that way, it reminds me of August Rush (one of my favorite music movies, anyway).



View all my reviews

No comments: