Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: Addie on the Inside


Addie on the Inside
Addie on the Inside by James Howe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Every once in a while, a student will show me that they're world aware. It's always so moving to me when kids show that they're familiar with something other than the digital world. Addie reminded me of those students. There was a conversation she had with another girl about why she cared if a celebrity was being beaten by her boyfriend--it didn't effect her directly. The response she gave was the response I should have given to the kid who asked me why he should care about the genocide that happened during the Holocaust, or the genocide going on in Darfur.
James Howe uses beautiful language to depict a girl who is trying to find the balance between being who she is and being who she thinks people want her to be. This novel in verse is definitely worth a read.



View all my reviews

No comments: