Sunday, March 6, 2011

Review: The First Part Last

The First Part LastThe First Part Last by Angela Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When a student asked me for a book about teenage pregnancy, this was the first book I thought of. I was disappointed to find out that we didn't have a copy in the library (because I could have sworn that we did). When the second student asked about the same topic, I knew I had to go pick up this title.

First Part Last is written in alternating "Then" and "Now" chapters, and told from the point of view of the father. He is sixteen, discovering that he loves his daughter, and struggling with the role change when he's not done being a child himself.

The story is beautifully told in short enough chapters that it might make an excellent read-aloud.

View all my reviews

No comments: