Sunday, February 28, 2010

The End of Wordle as We Know It?

There's some trouble in paradise. I saw a number of tweets yesterday discussing alternatives to Wordle, but I didn't think much of it. Apparently, Wordle is in some trademark trouble, as there is already a trademark for "wordle" by a photographer in California.

A number of people have said that they don't want to see Wordle change names. Here's my thought, though--what difference does it make what it's called? Call it Wordle, call it WordCloud, who cares? As long as the service is available. And between social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, the number of users that could end up back at this site is fairly high.

Now, I'm sure I'm over-simplifying. I'm certain the legal issues are more complex than this. But a rose by any other name...

No comments: